Boat Check Station - ISDABoat Check Station - ISDA

Idaho Invasive Species FAQ's

Q. Who can I contact with questions specific to the IISF sticker?
A. The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation 1-800-247-6332

Q. Who can I contact with additional questions regarding the IISF program?
. The Idaho Department of Agriculture manages the IISF program.

Q. What kind of vessels need to have the sticker?
A. Any boat that is registered in Idaho or another state, and any non-motorized vessel (canoe, kayak, raft, drift boat, etc.) need to have the sticker. Inflatable non-motorized vessels must be less than 10 feet in length to be exempted from this requirement.

Q. Why are boaters being asked to help fund invasive species prevention?
A. Aquatic invasive species seriously impact waterbodies. Species like the quagga mussel “hitchhike” from one body of water to the next, primarily on boats.

Q. What else can I do to help?
A. Proper cleaning and drying of boats and all equipment that may have come into contact with the water is the most important step boaters can take to prevent inadvertently spreading invasive species.

Q. Are government agencies exempt from purchasing this sticker?
A. No. The law does not provide any exemption for government agencies.

Q. Why are quagga mussels such a threat? And why is prevention so important?
A. These species live for several days out of water, they reproduce quickly, clog pipes, foul infrastructure and damage recreational equipment. They do not occur in Idaho, but once they are introduced, eradication will be impossible. The quagga will upset the food chain by consuming phytoplankton that other species need to survive. They are filter feeders that consume large portions of the microscopic plants and animals that form the base of the food web. Their consumption of significant amounts of phytoplankton from the water decreases zooplankton and can cause a shift in native species and a disruption of the ecological balance of entire bodies of water. In addition, they can displace native species, further upsetting the natural food web.

Q. What if I do not purchase the IISF Sticker?
A. Boating on the waters of the State of Idaho without displaying the required Invasive Species Sticker will be a violation of Idaho Code Chapter 70, Title 67, Section 67-7008(A) , which has a fixed penalty of $57.00. A law enforcement officer could issue the operator/owner of the vessel a Uniform Citation for violation of this law. The operator/owner would have three options if issued a citation for violation of this section; mail the citation to the County Court or Clerk’s Office with the required $57.00, stop at the County Court Clerk’s Office and pay the $57.00 in person, or appear in County Magistrate Court and plead not guilty, requesting a Court Trial.

Q. What is a Quagga Mussel and how is it affecting our waters?
A. Quagga mussels (Dreissena bugensis) and zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha) are small, freshwater bi-valve mollusks (relatives to clams and oysters) that are triangular in shape with black (or dark brown) and white (or cream) striped markings that appear on its shell. They are the only freshwater mussel in the United States that attaches to hard surfaces. These non-native mussels are not in Idaho. Western populations have been detected in NV, CA, AZ, CO, NM, and UT. Click here to learn more...

Q. How much is the new sticker?
A. Sticker prices are as follows: $10 for motorized vessels registered in Idaho, $22 for other motorized vessels, and $7 per non-motorized vessel. Discounts for non-motorized commercial fleets are available.  Beginning in 2010, the $10 fee became part of the annual registration fee for in-state registrations.

Q. When does this new sticker take effect?
A. Immediately. Stickers are available for purchase through the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation online or by mail and also at selected retail locations.

Q. Why do I have to purchase this additional sticker?
A. To assist in funding the prevention of invasive aquatic species within the state of Idaho, most commonly transferred and introduced by boats (motorized and non-motorized).

Q. What will the fees cover?
A. The fees generated from the sale of IISF stickers will fund vessel inspections, washing stations and informational materials that will assist Idaho with preventing the introduction of aquatic invasive species like quagga mussels.

Q. Where can I purchase the sticker?
A. Stickers are available for purchase by mail or online, using a secure application and payment portal. Additionally, stickers can be obtained at any Idaho State Park or regional service center (Boise, Idaho Falls and Coeur d' ALene). and also at selected retail locations.

Q. Is this a separate sticker from my boat registration sticker?
A. No.  Beginning in 2010, the $10 IISF sticker fee was included in your annual registration fee, so your registration sticker will also be your invasive species sticker if you register in Idaho.

Q. Does a nonresident boater have to purchase this sticker?
A. Yes. The fee is $22 for motorized boaters who's vessels are registered outside the state of Idaho and $7 for non-motorized boaters.

Q. Will I have to purchase this sticker or pay this fee every year?


Q. Where do I place the sticker on my boat?
. For canoes, kayaks and other small rigid boats, the sticker can be placed near the bow of the boat above the waterline on the port (left) side, or on top of the vessel if there is little or no waterline.

Q. Where do the stickers get attached on non-rigid boats such as inflatable rafts?
A. Stickers can be slit with a knife and attached to the vessel with a zip tie, plastic attachment, or other similar mechanism. You may want to put a backing of some type on the sticker to prevent it from tearing before slitting. You may also want to consider having the sticker laminated into a hang tag or attaching the sticker to a sturdy placard before attaching it to the vessel.

Q. Will a duplicate sticker be available if I lose my current sticker?
A. A duplicate sticker can be pruchased if you lose it for $3.00.

Q. I am a commercial outfitter with a nonmotorized fleet. How does the prorated group rate for these stickers work?
A. Prorated group rates for commercial outfitters with nonmotorized fleets exceeding five vessels are available. The prorated group rate is as follows:

  • 1-5 vessels $7 for each vessel
  • 6-10 vessels $32
  • 11-20 vessels $57
  • 21 or more vessels $102
  • More than 100 $102 + $1 for each additional vessel

As an outfitter you will need to determine how many vessels you have at the time of the initial prorated group rate sticker purchase. Any subsequent vessels not included in the initial purchase of the prorated group rate cannot be included after-the-fact and a separate sticker will need to be purchased.

For example, if an outfitter has 30 vessels the prorated group rate is $102. The outfitter will only receive 30 stickers at the time of purchase. If the outfitter adds two vessels at a later date, the outfitter will need to pay an additional $7 per sticker for each of these vessels.

Q - What is a road-side inspection station?
A – A road-side inspection station is a checkpoint where all watercraft are inspected for aquatic invasive species, including quagga mussel.

Q - Where are the road-side inspection stations located?
A - The road-side inspection stations are targeting boats that are coming into Idaho. The inspection stations are predominately located on Idaho's borders. Location Map  

Q - Why do I need to have my boat inspected?
A – Aquatic invasive species seriously impact waterbodies. Species like quagga mussel “hitchhike” from one body of water to the next, primarily on boats. 

Q - Do I need to get inspected every time I come to an inspection station
A - Yes 

Q - What are the hours of the inspection checkpoints?
A - 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. 7 days a week 

Q - How long will the checkpoints run?
A - The main time period will be from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Some stations open earlier, and will remain open longer.  

Q - What happens if my boat is infested?
A - If your boat is determined to be fouled with zebra or quagga mussels, a Hold Order will be placed on your boat and it will be decontaminated. 

Q - Is there a fee to have your boat de-contaminated?
A – There is no fee to have your boat hotwashed at an inspection station. The Invasive Species Sticker covers the cost of the boat cleaning in the event an inspector determines that your boat is “High Risk..”

Q. Do wakeboards, kite boards, or sailboards need to have the sticker?
A. Wakeboards and kite boards will not need to have the sticker. Sailboards are considered vessels and are required to have the sticker. Sailboards would include any board used for wind surfing.

Q. Do stand-up paddleboards need to display the invasive species sticker?
A. Yes. All paddleboards, both rigid and inflatable, must display the sticker. The sticker can be placed near the bow on top of the board to be legal. Inflatable paddleboards less than 10’ are not exempt.

Q. If I launch my boat outside of Idaho do I need to have a sticker on my boat?
A . If your boat is launched in Washington, Oregon, or another state, and thereafter enters Idaho waters, you are not required to have the sticker. Stickers are only required on boats that launch in Idaho waters.